Monday, January 12, 2009

A Tribute to Kallie..Our faithful puppy of 14 years

Well, it's been three weeks ago tomorrow that we made the decision to have Kallie put down. She hadn't eaten or had anything to drink in over a week, so we all felt it was the right thing to do. Those that know our dog, know how faithful she was. She was Cameron's 5th Birthday gift, after we swore we would never get a dog. He begged, and we broke down and got a dog. She was a "Pound Puppy", so they weren't sure of her age. She was diffinitely Cameron's dog. He named her after his favorite babysitter "Kelly". She was his life guard when we lived in Las Vegas, she would bark her head off if he put his head in the water while swimming in the pool. She was so good, that we didn't have to put up a safety gate, because when the kids were in the pool she would let us know. When she was a puppy, we would take her to the deseret, and let her out of the car, then she would run after the car to get us. This was the only way we could get a good work out for her since she was too strong for the kids to hold onto to take for a walk. Kandace and I just went and saw "Marley and Me" on Saturday. This story followed almost the exact same story as our dog, we were crying like babies when we walked out. When she was around 2-years old, Steve even got rid of her, she barked so much in the day, and he was working nights that one day he took her back to the pound. I had to go retrieve her, since the kids cried horriably for 2-days. I had to take a "Owner Turn In" class to learn how to train my dog from barking. Steve was in hot water, and Kallie still barked, but she never left our side. The whole experience changed her, she hated other dogs because she was hurt in the pound. She was always the first to greet anyone when they arrived at our house. She was an excellent guard dog too. Like the movie, she hated the thunder and really hated the 4th of July. She had a scar from trying to kill a fire cracker in the street one year. We all were a bunch of ball Babies the day we put her down, but believe she is in a better place and out of all the pain she was in. We sure did love this puppy, and will never be able to replace her. Here's to you Kallie dog! We love you!

6 comments:

Torrie and the girls said...

we didn't know you put her down.... that's sad, but we agree she's in a better place. I know Emma will miss her, like Cameron she has a tender heart when it comes to dogs. Kallie was a great dog and so gentle, we hope someday to get such a good dog.

cathy haupt said...

Sometimes I felt like Kallie was as much my dog as yours, but I really knew who her loyalties were with-Cameron. My memories are of her waiting for "her" kids to come home from school the first day when you were staying with us. Dad and I read the "Marley & Me" book this summer and laughed our heads off, but Kallie was no Marley; she had more sense. Dad & I both said, after we read the book, we are glad that wasn't us! love to all G & G Haupt

Marci said...

That is so very sad. Losing a pet is heart breaking! I hope you all are doing ok, and are grateful for the Kallie memories that you will have forever.

tatum said...

oh that makes me sad, i saw marlee and me and cried myself all the way home. nothing is better than a dog you love because they are truely the most loyal friend you could have. hope you guys are doing okay about it, i am an emotional wreck when it comes to things like this.

Jill said...

OK..that was way sad. Yes..I cried because I know when it comes to my dog, it will be a difficult choice.

Kaija said...

I was so sad when my animals were put down...They are SO part of the family huh! Looks like Christmas was fun! PS I love Courtney's "Jon and Kate" coat! I LOVE kate! PPS your hair is super cute! I think I had a dream about you last week...must mean we should get together soon!