Sunday, November 23, 2008

Valley of Fire 10k....We were HOT!

Okay, so about a month and a half ago I got a call from Austin and she wanted to know if I wanted to run the "Valley of Fire 10K" with her. I told her I would think about it and let her know. I decided I needed to challenge my self. I started increasing my distance and got shin splints. So I went and got new running shoes, that helped but then ankle started to bug me. But I stuck with it. The last two weeks I was able to run 4 to 7 miles every time I went out running. We did. We didn't train for the killer hills we had to go up and down, but we made it. I took 3rd place in my age division and got an award. I was very surprised! We loved the rock star awards we got for running the race.
Here we are before the race began freezing to death! Lance and Jake, Austins friends from her Las Vegas ward ran the 1/2 Marathon. We might try running that next year.
Courtney came and supported me at the race, she made this great sign,heck we're both Mom's so it worked for me and Austin. We did it Austin! Thanks for getting me motivated to try something new! Even though my thighs are screaming at me today because of the hills, I would do it again.
Thanks Courtney for coming to the race to give me some moral support and then taking me to St. George to see "Twlight". I love these girl weekends we have had the last couple of weeks. Next week we do the "Human Race" 5K on Thanksgiving morning. Ahhh..just a little 5K with no hills, no sweat!

5 comments:

Ashley said...

you go girls! I cant even run 1/2 a mile. :)

tatum said...

good job! i want to run a real 10K instead of the fake ones on the treadmill. i hope you liked the movie.

Jill said...

I think that taylor and I will be doing the Human race on Thanksgiving. Nicole petered out on me, and Tay wants to step up to the plate. We have not yet registered, not because I have not been trying!! I am looking at registering the day of...I hope I can still get a shirt. I will keep you postted!

Ashley said...

my mom brought me the bread last night, it was the best present! I think i have already eaten half of it...thanks so much, its my fav! (i'm not sharing with jon)

Don and Kelley said...

Karen, I love it!!!! I is so good to hear from you! Keep on running!