Monday, September 7, 2009

I'm an addict....YIKES!

Okay, they say that admiting it is 90% of conquering any addiction. I just never knew I would be addicted to running. How crazy is that. I ran my first 5K in Huntsville, UT 3 years ago on a challenge from my cousin Sandy. Three years later, here I am training for my first 1/2 marathon, who saw that coming? I know that most 29 year olds can take this intense training schedule, but it's killing this 29 year old...hee...hee. Soo for Labor Day weekend I signed up for two 5K's. I figure I'd be running for training anyway, why not have fun with others.
Bright and early (I'm sure you can tell by Cameron's bloodshot eyes) Saturday I ran my first 5K for the weekend. My favorite run in the fall, the Huntsville 5K. Cameron was a good sport when I woke him up at 6AM to see if he would go with me and be my support team(Kandace was suppose to be my support but was too sleepy to go). Someone better sign-up to run this with me next year, Cameron has another commitment for the next two years. And I don't like to run alone.
Yahoo, I took 3rd place in my age division. I was running against some way serious runners. The first place finisher ran her mile in under 8 minutes. What is that about, I am happy with my 10-minute mile. I'll just keep up my slow, but study pace, that is what works for me.
As we were leaving Huntsville I saw this "Flower Bed" and had to stop and take a picture. Huntsville is such a quaint little town. We usually stop in at the Monastery and buy some "Holy Honey" but we didn't take the time this year. Steve and I will have to take a bike ride up some time and get our supply of "Holy Honey".

This morning I ran my second 5K for the weekend. "Onion Days" 5K in Payson. I ran this for the first time last year with my cute cousin Sandy. She is the one that challenged me to my first 5K. Last year we ran a race every month together. We both did a great job, not bad for a couple of crazy 29 year olds. Next race is my 1/2 marathon on September 26th. If I survive I'll let you know how I did. I don't have any other races until November after that, I may have to hang up this addiction and go back to doing 5K's with my favorite cousin.

2 comments:

Don and Kelley said...

Welcome to the insanity!

Marci said...

Yay for you!! You are my running idol. Thanks for helping me along in my first ever 5K. Hopefully I'll become an addict like you too one of these days. :)